Monday 4 June 2012

4th June 2012 Philippi & Delt in the City Cape Town



Hi Mom and Dad,

No I have not sent any packages yet because I do not have everything that I want to put into the package... I still have to go to green market square one more time before I will send the package, but I promise when I send it I will let you know so you can keep track and an eye for it. I did get the package with the church tunage CD in it! And I got the package with all the other goodies that you sent me through Dear Elder website! That was awesome! :)
 It's good that you are so busy mom! I’m glad we are getting the roof re-shingled! Congrats to Shelyse Hardy! And say hi to sister hardy for me! A new dishwasher sounds sweet! What are you doing with our old one? I can hardly wait to see “Avengers!” That’s good to hear about Opa too! I hope everything is working out well for him! I'm praying for him!

About the name tag thing... I don't have a clip on name tag yet... I lost it on the first day as I was getting off the plane in Cape Town from the Missionary Training Center ... I ordered it and they sent me another pocket one... so I had to re- order another one and I am waiting to get it... so no name tag with my street clothes till I get my clip on...
Were you going to send me all of the songs that were on the "church tunage" CD? Or were you not able to find them on your hard drive? They are on there... I really appreciate the songs you sent me though. I love what I have! I have to ask, if you are ever in the  church bookstore, and see the new EFY ( Especially For Youth ) CD, or any EFY CD, you should get me them and send them to me! I can't order them here and so the only way I can get them is through you... I love you both!
 Now for how things are going here…. This week has been intense! For P-day we hiked a little bit up the side of Devil's peak! Got some pictures! :D …and on Wednesday we had Zone Conference but with all 3 Cape Town zones! So it was sweet! Over 40 missionaries! We got some powerful training on how to teach while finding and find while teaching! And we are trying more to focus now on teaching thoroughly repentance to people.
Our area is catching on fire! I don't mean literally (even though there are fires in our area all the time) but we are getting powerful investigators! We are being so blessed! We don't even have one female investigator! We only have potential priesthood holders and father led families! It's amazing to see the Lord progress his kingdom through us! It's sweet! Just yesterday we had a powerful Restoration lesson with 3 brethren in their 20's, 2 of which are ex-body builders! The other one has been coming to our church every week for the past month just because he wants to know the truth!
But those two body builders are huge! I felt so scrawny the whole time I was there! So much for my working out at the gym...
 I was on exchanges on Friday with the Zone leaders! I was with Elder Thacker, and we had a blast! We had some powerful lessons in the area, I learnt a lot from him, and we had a ton of fun! Spent like an hour just annoying member fellow shipper because all we were doing was quoting "Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail!" But at the start of the exchange, we went to District meeting at the Khayelitsha Chapel, and while we were on our way to the mall to have lunch, we turned off a road onto another road and then we got rear-ended! Yup! Seems like I have to get rear ended every year! Elder Thacker was driving though (It's funny because he offered if I wanted to drive, and I had a feeling like I shouldn't take the offer, so I said no, then right after we got in the accident) which was good because it was his area's car and I wasn't technically authorized to be the driver by the mission president anyways... but don't worry mom! I know you probably just freaked out and started saying "Oh no! OH NO!!" but it’s ok!


He slammed on his brakes and slowed down enough so that it was just a minor accident! He just put a big dent in our bumper, and his truck was crushed in the front! The craziest part was, when we were getting all of the information from the guy, I walked over to his truck and looked inside and noticed that there was 15-20 elementary kids crammed inside this tiny 7 seater vehicle! (Yes I said tiny 7 seater!) Here in Africa they cram as many seats as they can in as little of a vehicle as they can) so thank goodness it wasn't a major accident! All of those kids could have been killed if it would have rolled or something! So I just made sure all the kids were ok, and they were fine and happy.
 Yesterday, Khayelitsha ward had a High Priest Group formed! Goes to show how big the ward is getting! In November it turned from a branch to a ward, and now it has a high priest group! That’s sweet! Still in its tiny little rented out old shop right building... but has about 130 people coming each Sunday! It's powerful!
The weather is still beautiful and everyone still wears big coats! I've just given up wondering why... Honestly, my short sleeve is hot enough! The other day I helped these guys build a shack! Elder Park and I noticed the neighbors to our member fellow shipper were building a shack so we offered to help! At first the dude was really racist and didn't want our help because we were white... but when we told him that we were servants of Jesus Christ, he changed his mind quickly! We then were able to help throw up a shack in 20mins from start to finish; even so that it was livable inside! Pretty impressive I know! Paha! only used 12 nails too!
So that was my week! I feel like I am forgetting to mention something, but if I remember ill write it down and include it next week! I received a package from my parents and from Aunt Terri this week! Thank you so much!!! I love you all! And those cookies were gone within moments by the way Aunt Terri! Reeses! MMM!!! All the other elders keep calling you the sweetest Aunt ever and keep asking me if you are single! Paha! So that has got to say something about your baking!
Life is good! The work is pressing forward! I love mission! I'm learning a lot aswell! And the area is doing great! It's coming up to transfers! I'm excited to see where I’m going! I should be leaving, but one of the AP's said that 1 of the 6 month Elders are staying in their area for 7.5 months... So I’m slightly concerned that it's going to be me, but even if it was, I wouldn't mind... but I do want to experience somewhere new! I love you all and appreciate all of the support! Take Luck!
-Elder Jones-




Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment